Saturday, February 25, 2012

Visit to CAA 100th Anniversary

Just returned from a business trip in San Francisco and Los Angeles, CA. The trip was good, lots of hope for future commissions. Anyway while in Los Angeles I went to the College Art Association Conference for a day. If I could of gone longer I would have; there were very interesting sessions taking place. I went to three different ones: Happenings: Transnational, and Transdisciplinary. Check out Arthur Barrio's work from the 60's and 70's. I'm also still seduced by Yoyoi Kusamas Psychelic Happenings.
Another session was Feminism and Early Modern Art. Unfortunately the glass ceiling still exists for us... Fluxus was the last session. Of course they talked about George Maciunas, John Cage, Alison Knowles, Yokohama Ono, Nam June Paik, and many others. Their work seems to be a conservators nightmare. Some of these artists would laugh at the idea of even trying to conserve their work. Most of the presenters were giving their PHD dissertations, it was fascinating. I would recommend it to those of you that are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment